Are you interested to know the requirements to check, change BVN name, date of birth, phone number, and email address online?
If YES, this article is only what you need to read today.
What is Bank Verification Number [BVN]?
The Bank Verification Number (BVN) is an 11-digit unique identity for each individual across the Nigerian Banking industry.
The Central Bank of Nigeria introduced Bank Verification Number to:
- Decrease illegal banking transactions in the country.
- Curb fraud in the banking industry.
- Ensures one can engage securely in transactions at any Point of Banking operations in Nigeria.
As proscribed by the Federal Government of Nigeria, you may not have two BVN with different names since BVN is attached to each account and can be used in multiple banks by same customer.
Your BVN name is generally accepted by all the banks you are banking with.
So, once you use a different name apart from the one in your BVN, it’s likely that the bank will suspend your account until the name is changed to match with the name on your BVN.
You can’t be scammed if someone only has your BVN. For safety, ensure your bank-registered phone number is with you, your ATM card, and all your secret bank details remain with you only.
How to Get Bank Verification Number
Here are the steps to enroll for BVN in Nigeria:
- Visit any Bank branch and complete the enrolment form.
- Your biometric data (fingerprint, photograph and signature) will be captured on the system.
- You will then receive a Ticket ID.
- BVN will be sent to your registered mobile number.
These banks in Nigeria allow correction and update of BVN details:
- Access Bank Plc
- Ecobank Nigeria Plc
- Fidelity Bank Plc
- First Bank of Nigeria Limited
- First City Monument Bank Plc
- Guaranty Trust Bank Plc
- Heritage Bank
- Keystone Bank Limited
- Polaris Bank Limited
- Stanbic IBTC Bank Plc
- Standard Chartered
- Sterling Bank Plc
- Union Bank of Nigeria Plc
- United Bank for Africa Plc
- Unity Bank Plc
- Wema Bank Plc
- Zenith Bank Plc
Reasons for BVN Details Change
Reasons to change or update BVN details include:
- Lost phone number that can no longer be retrieved.
- An error or omission during the Bank Verification Number (BVN) registration.
- Having various names in several accounts.
- Incorrect Date of Birth.
- Error in BVN name arrangement.
BVN Name Change Requirements
Here are the eligibility requirements for name change on BVN:
- National Identification Card, Voters Card or International Passport
- BVN Number
- Account Name
- Newspaper Publication
- Date of Birth
- Court Affidavit
- Name you wish to change which must appear in the Newspaper Publication and Court Affidavit
Newspaper Publication and Affidavit.
You can do a newspaper publication displaying the correct name plus an affidavit.
This concern men and single women that carelessly used different names at several banks to open accounts.
Head to a court of competent jurisdiction and apply for an affidavit with your desired name.
The name should be on a national daily, have a copy of the publication to present to your bank and you are done.
Marriage Certificate and Newspaper Publication
This one is only for married women who no longer use their father’s last name and now use that of their husbands in account opening.
Here, you will need to present your marriage certificate showing your desired name and a newspaper published copy.
You might also need to present your ID card in some scenarios.
How to Change Your BVN Date of Birth Online
Because of mistakes made during the registration of the BVN, you may wish to change your BVN Date of Birth because it does not correspond with your National Identification Number (NIN) Date of Birth
BVN Date of Birth Change Requirements
Here are the eligibility requirements to change BVN date of birth:
- National Identification Number (NIN), Voters Card or International Passport
- Wrong Date of Birth
- Birth Certificate
- Correct Date of Birth
- Account Name
- Court affidavit
How to Change Date of Birth on BVN Number
Here are the steps to change your BVN Date of Birth:
- Visit the bank in which the BVN was registered.
- At the bank, navigate to the customer care desk and make your request.
- Provide the requirements mentioned above and fill the correction form you’ll be given.
- Having filled the form, you are expected to return the incidence/correction form.
- The maximum working days for the resolution is 120 hours, equivalent to 5 working days.
How to Link BVN with Bank Account
Here are the steps to link your bank account with BVN:
- Login into bank Internet Banking.
- Choose BVN Linker from the left-hand panel.
- Tap “New Request.”
- From the drop-down menu, enter your Bank Verification Number.
- Choose the Nigerian Bank where your BVN was issued.
- Answer your “Secret Question” and continue.
How to Check BVN Number
To check your BVN number online on any network: MTN, 9Mobile, Airtel, Glo, dial *565*0# on the mobile number you registered with.
If you cannot access the phone number because you are not with the phone number, contact your bank customers care unit.
The cost to check your BVN number on your phone is ₦22 once it is successful.
How to Check BVN Date of Birth online?
To check BVN date of birth, copy your BVN number by dialing this code *565*0# using the mobile number you registered with. Copy the code and visit your bank nearest branch in Nigeria.
You can check the name on your BVN through the online portal, or by going to the bank.
You can’t change BVN name, date of birth, number and other details online.
To do this, you’ll need to go to a court of competent jurisdiction with a suitable ID card and obtain an affidavit, publish the same in a national daily/newspaper for a token, buy the paper and forge ahead to the bank, you will be given a BVN correction form to fill alongside a customer information update as the case apply.
It takes a maximum of three weeks to change name on BVN. If it exceeds the three weeks and no changes occurred on your BVN name, kindly contact your bank immediately.
For Diaspora Customers with BVN Problems
For Nigerians in the diaspora who have BVN problems, and wish to effect a change of name, date of birth, or phone numbers on BVN; simply contact your bank/account officer and avail your documents.
The bank would review this and update your details.
Sometimes, human errors can lead to documenting wrong details when one is applying for BVN
Most times though, it is because we cannot supply the right information and the bank will have no choice but to follow the signed mandate from the customers.
Your Bank Verification Number (BVN) and registrations have to be free of errors and hitches to avoid freezing of accounts due to wrong spelling, omission, and a disparity between names.
In case of errors, use the provisions in this post to make changes and correct your details.