The National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) is a Federal
Government Agency established by the NIMC Act No. 23 of 2007, to maintain and manage the National Identity Database, which includes the registration of citizens of Nigeria and the issuance of the National Identification Number (NIN) .
In this post I will show you how you can register and pick up your National Identification Number (NIN) card,and also what you can do if your having problems regarding how to register or obtain your NIMC card.
The National Identification Number (NIN)
Q: What is the National Identification Number (NIN)?
The National Identification Number (NIN) is a unique number that will be assigned to you for life,the moment you finish the enrollment,your details will be uploaded into the National Identity Database.
Q: What is the use of the NIN?
There are so many uses of NIN,you can use it for different transactions that require high identification checks,also the federal government use it to know the number of people living in Nigeria.
Other quick facts about NIN that you should know:
- The NIN is used to assert a person’s Identity.
- You enroll once and you are identified for life with the NIN assigned to you.
- On completion of the enrolment, you will be issued a National Identification Number (NIN) immediately or be asked to come back at a given date to pick up the NIN.
- You can also use your NIN to assert your identity (with or without the card as long as you have the print out)
- Endeavor to register only once,any attempt to register twice is a punishable offense.
- The registration and first issuance of the Identity Card is totally free,but you will be charged N2,500 if you misplaced the card but want to be issued another one.
Q: How To Register For The NIN?
Follow the steps below:
1. Visit any enrollment centre near your area.
2. Before you can register make sure you meet the following requirements:
(a) You must be a citizen of Nigeria,if your not,then your a lawfully and permanent resident in Nigeria /a non-citizen of Nigeria who is lawfully resident in Nigeria for a period of two years or more.
(b) If your more than 16 years and above you can enroll.
3. You should endeavor to visit the enrollment center with any the following original documents for registration:
- (a) Old National id Card
- (b) Driver’s License
- (c) Voter’s card (Temporary or Permanent)
- (d) Nigerian International passport
- (e) Certificate of origin
- (f) Attestation letter from a prominent ruler in your community
- (g) Birth certificate
- (h) Declaration of age
- (i) Attestation letter from religious/traditional leader
- (j) NHIS ID card
- (k) Government staff id card
- (l)Registered/recognized private organization staff id card
- (m) School ID Card private/Public
5. An enrollment form will be issued to you if you have not enrolled before while the printed Barcode slip will be given to you if had pre-enrolled earlier using the pre-enrolment service.
6. After filling the enrollment forms,it will be cross checked for any form of error by the NIMC Official,those that cannot read or write will be assisted.
7. Afterwards your information will be put on the NIMC Software by a NIMC enrollment officer or the Barcode slip will be scanned by the NIMC enrollment officer to populate all the required field.
8. Your the biometrics (ten finger prints and facial image) will be captured,also the original document you presented will be scanned.
9. After completing the enrollment, a Transaction ID Slip will be issued to you as an evidence of the transaction.
10. You will be told to come back within 2-7 working days.
11. A National Identification Number (NIN) Slip will be issued.
12. The National e-ID Card will be Issued to you within 12months.
13. Enrollment is free and available from Monday – Friday (8a.m. to 4 p.m.).
Q: How to check if your National ID Card is ready for pick up after some months?
After enrolling for the National identity Card for a very long time,you can check the status of your NIMC card via an online platform to know if your card is ready or not.
Follow the steps below:
- Get any internet enabled smartphone or device
- Log on to www.touch.nimc.gov.ng
- Then click the proceed button
- Fill in your First name, last name and your National Identification Number (The Last Six Digits)
- Click on the “Check Now Button”.
- Within some seconds the system will display the status of your NIMC card.
- Go back to your enrollment centre for pick up.
If your experiencing any form of situation such as:
- (a) Your card is not ready for pickup after several months.
- (b)You no longer remember your enrollment center or the enrollment center has been moved or transferred.
- (c) You lost your National Identification Number (NIN) slip or NIMC card.